Batman in SM/WW Fanfiction

Post your fics or discuss those from the FanFiction section.

Moderators: DaisyJane, Chaosmob, Isis

Batman in SM/WW Fanfiction

Postby Migalouch » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:51 am

Hey did anyone else notice how that in any type of fic involving SM/WW that includes Batman everyone always tries to paint him as this really dumb guy who is just trying to keep true love apart and is just a colossal idiot that has to at some point apologize like and idiot since he screwed up so bad?

I mean I was just skimming one and they have Bruce act like a little kid apologizing to his parents, the guy doesn't do that and in almost every SM/WW thing I have even tried to read I almost always end up stopping because the characterization of Bruce/Batman is so far off.

So does anyone else notice this phenomenon because I have to say in almost all of the BM/WW ones Clark/Superman is almost always painted in a positive light.
Migalouch
Titan

Re: Batman in SM/WW Fanfiction

Postby Grendle1853 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:25 am

Yep I seen that. Hell one SM/WW story I read was written from his point of view and it was shown that he kind of ended up pushing them together because he was obsessing over their attraction and seemed to blame him for it. I know Batman is obsessive, but that is just stupid and I think it was done to make Superman less of a bad guy for cheating on Lois.
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.
Grendle1853
Justice League

Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Postby DaisyJane » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:31 am

He only made Clark look even more like a douche bag because he knew Bruce was there the whole time and he still had sex with Diana for hours. I think the difference is many of us here like Superman a lot (just not as a love interest for Diana) while many of them really dislike Batman. Also they feel he is too much the Batgod and needs to be taken down a notch. Also it is impossible for BM and WW to be friends and they can have nothing in common.
FU DC
DaisyJane
Justice League

Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Postby Migalouch » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:52 am

DaisyJane wrote:He only made Clark look even more like a douche bag because he knew Bruce was there the whole time and he still had sex with Diana for hours. I think the difference is many of us here like Superman a lot (just not as a love interest for Diana) while many of them really dislike Batman. Also they feel he is too much the Batgod and needs to be taken down a notch. Also it is impossible for BM and WW to be friends and they can have nothing in common.

Ouch what story was that it sounds like rechzyord's Bane one or possibly the one where they go undercover together.

Seriously though I just saw one on FF.net and I was skimming it and the author made Batman apologize like a little child because he was being an asshole and he only did it because Selina "showed him the light" and it was so out of character I didn't even continue it.

Really I just end up skimming them to see how they treat Batman in them nowadays because they always give him the shaft.
Migalouch
Titan

Postby DaisyJane » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:54 am

Well often Clark, Diana and Lois are also hopelessly OOC so why not Bruce as well :roll: . They also don't really get the Bruce/Selina dynamic well at all. Selina probably wouldn't give a care how Bruce acted. She would just call him an ass and leave and he would let her go. I get sick of one SMWW shipper who is always saying that Selina is the only one who can get Bruce to smile or do anything he doesn't want to do. I have even posted canon comic pages with Diana doing those very things and gotten well she does that for all her friends :? . Also that BM and CW work better as a team even though the JLA shows over and over again BM and WW working very well together and numerous comics where BM and CW have major issues working together.

Oh the author of that story is Djinn and it is on JLA Unlimited sight. I thought it might end up being a BMWW story so that is why I read it. Hated it instead.
FU DC
DaisyJane
Justice League

Postby Phantomstranger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:08 pm

I agree that most of Sm/WW shippers think Batman needs to be taken down a notch or two .. i don't understand why they have such a problem with the character .. sure even if he isn't written as Batgod they could still get the characterization right .. if you see any Superman story where batman guest stars the writers make it a point to show their camaraderie and friendship and trust .. as Superman fans they should at least respect that ... I guess they are threatened by Bruce as a potential love interest for Diana and so have to make him an a$$hole or it would ruin the entire point of their fic ..
Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing. - Camus

He’ll still be here long after I’m dead and forgotten; long after all of us have come and gone, there will be Batman. - Grant Morrison
Phantomstranger
Justice League

Justice League Membership: Phantom Stranger

Postby Aries » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:10 pm

I think it's sort of the nature of the beast, so to speak.

Most people like both Superman and Batman and the dynamic of the two when they team up because they contrast so much, yet in the end aren't all that different. That same dynamic is there for Bruce and Diana, but with the added passion of two trained warriors, two never surrender personalities and the natural sexual tension that brings.

People who like SM/WW tend not to like Batman at all. In most of their fan fictions or even just their forum posts on the subject, they go out of their way to point out some instance where Batman is dumb, or mean, or an ass, or anything that shows that both Superman and Wonder Woman are his superiors and not his equal. There are very few SM/WW shippers out there who actually like Batman.
Aries
Justice League

Justice League Membership: Nightwing

Postby Bickerton » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:28 pm

this is going to sound wierd But i say this vid and It reminds me off all the sm/ww fan fiction I have ever read. http://youtu.be/xjfc8Y_z18k
Grant Morrison’s “bat god” is nothing more than the Adam West Batman modernize
LM: Damian(Robin)Wayne
Bickerton
Justice League

Justice League Membership: Robin [Damian Wayne]

Postby Isis » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:01 am

I tend not to read SMWW fanfiction. I try and fail numerous times a year to do it, and it makes me feel physically sick every time.
Batman—Having the word "Wonder" in your name might seem egotistical to some. Having watched Wonder Woman in action...I'd call it modesty.
Isis
Justice League

Justice League Membership: Black Canary

Postby DaisyJane » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Me too. But I am sure that some of our BMWW fics make SMWW shippers sick too. But the OOCness just bugs the crap out of me.
FU DC
DaisyJane
Justice League

Postby Aries » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:49 pm

There's always an exception to every rule, but I do think on average, Superman gets a much better showing in BM/WW fan fics than Bats does in SM/WW fan fics. For that matter, WW gets much better showings in BM/WW fan fics too. She's normally pretty pathetic in SM/WW stories; be it fan fiction or otherwise.
Aries
Justice League

Justice League Membership: Nightwing

Postby Bickerton » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:58 pm

DaisyJane wrote:Me too. But I am sure that some of our BMWW fics make SMWW shippers sick too. But the OOCness just bugs the crap out of me.

I am sure they do maybe its cuese thay can get as creative as we can with Fan fictions.
Grant Morrison’s “bat god” is nothing more than the Adam West Batman modernize
LM: Damian(Robin)Wayne
Bickerton
Justice League

Justice League Membership: Robin [Damian Wayne]

Postby Migalouch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Ok I know this died a bit, but then I read a fic today and it REALLY brings this back to light.

I was reading "The Bounty Hunter" by Arcadia81 today because it was AU and I generally like AUs. So I decided to read it, even though it was a SM/WW, mainly to see how Batman was portrayed. Jesus F'in Christ does that writer do everything in their power to make Batman look like an absolute dick and someone who is increasingly screwed up. What makes it even worse is that the author, and the misguided people who agree thats its amazing in reviews, don't even realize how backwards their thinking is.

Summary for those who don't want to read or even open the fic.

Justice League exists without Superman who never made it to earth, Superman is an intergalactic bounty hunter, Darkseid wants Diana for a bride, Darkseid hires Superman to go capture her, Superman goes to earth and does some recon, Superman attacks league. Now here is where I have to give more detail. Apparently the author decided Superman can completely demolish the entire team and that the only threat is J'onn and no one else. So Superman than picks apart the league one by one.

Superman knocks Zantanna out without trouble, Krypto bites Flash in the privates disabling him, Superman then proceeds to throw an elecrticity sphere in J'onn that continually shocks him for multiple hours, For GL he then proceeds to bounce his own willpower energy back at him and fries him but only after calmly wading through every power the guy can throw at him like its nothing. Batman is however the one the author saves the worst treatment for. For Batman he merely heat rays his ear, then lifts him several stories ripping off his cape and belt and then just dropping him. This causes severe wounds that are described as deafening him in one ear and almost paralyzing him, which he recovers from because of the purple ray (because the author can't take the dick completely out of the story and thats what Batman is). Finally only after a valiant fight, the only one who can since its SM/WW, he eventually chokes out Diana.

Ok fast forwarding speed again. Diana spends four days tied up with Superman on his ship and falls in love with him. They come back to earth she says hes good we can forgive him, Batman is leading the WTF are you crazy movement, Diana gets upset at him because hes holding a grudge against the man she knew for four days, Batman continues to investigate him, Diana figures out eventually and yells at him because he doesn't trust her new friend who almost killed him.

So as of now Diana is MASSIVELY in the grips of some serious Stockholm syndrome and is defending the guy who almost crippled all of her friends. Not to mention she is supposed to be a great friend to Batman and she hasn't once sympathized with the fact he almost died and now she is just waiting for a chance to sleep with the guy who did it to him.

Naturally the author is taking every chance to pain Batman in a horrible light saying in A/N comments that "He will eventually come around" and saying that Batman is just completely wrong and being a big dick because thats Batman.

I mean just wow we have three character assassinations in one story. Batman, who is now a huge dick and always wrong but still wants to be a dick because he got beat, Diana who is a heartless bitch who shows no sympathy her supposed "best friend" Batman was almost killed by the guy she lusts after, and Superman who just became an arrogant douche who is really supposed to have a heart of gold and is really sorry for almost maiming someone.

I'm sorry this is a rant, but come on these people don't even know what the heck they are doing when they write anymore. This is literally the type of audience new DC is going to suck in, the people that are all about SM/WW sex and into the whole bondage angle.

Just fricken disgusts me!
Migalouch
Titan

Postby Isis » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Right... Man I hate SMWW. I got angry just reading that summary! I have to ask, can anyone think of any BMWW fics where we do that to Superman?
Batman—Having the word "Wonder" in your name might seem egotistical to some. Having watched Wonder Woman in action...I'd call it modesty.
Isis
Justice League

Postby Migalouch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Oh not to mention Lois is also plain using Flash for information on the League because she is of course a heartless bitch and Flash in naive enough to fall for it.
Migalouch
Titan

Postby Migalouch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Isis wrote:Right... Man I hate SMWW. I got angry just reading that summary! I have to ask, can anyone think of any BMWW fics where we do that to Superman?

Not a one. IMO I hate to stick to those types of cliches because it just shows you lack creativity as a writer to fall back on crutches that you have seen time and time again.
Migalouch
Titan

Postby Phantomstranger » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Wow .. Superman is one real a$$hole .. where is the heart of gold in doing that to a person who has no powers whatsoever (I am assuming that since Supes never came to Earth neither did Kryponite and even if it did nobody knows its his weakness) ... good god ... and sic'ing Krypto on Flash's privates!!! .. that is some harsh stuff man ...

What is really hilarious is that despite all of this Diana would think he has the proverbial heart of gold!! How can a person who does that to people sooo much weaker than him have a heart of gold man!!
Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing. - Camus

He’ll still be here long after I’m dead and forgotten; long after all of us have come and gone, there will be Batman. - Grant Morrison
Phantomstranger
Justice League

Justice League Membership: Phantom Stranger

Postby Migalouch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:08 pm

It was a bit worse actually. Superman ripped of Batman's cape and belt then said something along the lines of "I hear you like dropping people from high heights lets see how you like it it won't kill you but its going to hurt" and then dropped him seven stories onto a car.

Four days later Diana doesn't seem to give one flying F that her supposed "close friend" (because the author keeps putting in parts of how they were close before it happened) was almost permantely maimed. Hell first thing she does when coming back is say "Hey this is Kal hes really a good guy even though he almost killed our dear friend so lets give him another shot shall we?!" I mean with friends like that who needs enemies?

I don't understand how these people consider themselves fans of comics considering the author pretty much shows through their writing that they don't think any hero besides Superman is worth a darn. Apparently they forget that Green Lantern literally has the most powerful weapon in the universe on his finger and can decimate cities in seconds with a mere thought, but nope can't stand up to Superman.

Jeez the story just really ticked me off!
Migalouch
Titan

Postby Lordfrieza » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:20 pm

Phantomstranger wrote:Wow .. Superman is one real a$$hole .. where is the heart of gold in doing that to a person who has no powers whatsoever (I am assuming that since Supes never came to Earth neither did Kryponite and even if it did nobody knows its his weakness) ... good god ... and sic'ing Krypto on Flash's privates!!! .. that is some harsh stuff man ...

What is really hilarious is that despite all of this Diana would think he has the proverbial heart of gold!! How can a person who does that to people sooo much weaker than him have a heart of gold man!!

While I didn't do the exact same thing to Sups, I make him a tyrannical dictator in my story It was suppose to be Our time.
"The tips at the end of shoelaces are called 'aglets'. Their true purpose is sinister." The Question

League member 'Question'
Lordfrieza
Justice League

Justice League Membership: The Question

Postby Isis » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Ok, another question: in any SMWW fic, is his humanity emphasised, or downplayed? Because I don't think it would work at all if he's the farmboy and she's the warrior princess. Lois can do Superman and Clark Kent - can Diana?
Isis
Justice League

Next

Return to BMWW FanFiction